Quick & Healthy Low Fat Vegan Pizza Recipe
Calories per serving: 302 per slice
Yields: 6 slices
Total time: 30 minutes
For the toppings
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 cup of black beans, preferably rinsed and canned
- 1 cup of corn kernels, approximately 2 ears
- 2 tablespoons of cornmeal
- One-third cup of barbecue sauce
- One-third cup of tomato sauce
- One-fourth cup of olives
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, preferably smoked and shredded
For the pizza base
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of dry or instant yeast
- 1 and a half cup of warm water, should be maintained around 105 and 115 degrees
- 1 tablespoon of oil, preferably olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 and a quarter cup of whole wheat flour, ideally 407 grams
- Additional oil for brushing the crust
- To begin with, the grill has to be preheated to medium. Ensure that the grill is hot before you choose to keep the prepared pizza dough inside.
How to prepare the pizza dough?
- Take a large mixing bowl combine the warm water, yeast and sugar. Let the mixture sit for at least 5 minutes. The mixture needs to dissolve and become foamy.
- Add 3 cups of whole wheat flour to the yeast mixture, and mix in low speed (or with a rubber spatula).
- Knead the dough. It should become elastic and smooth. Now, shape the dough into a ball. Coat the surface of the dough with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Leave it in a warm environment.
- Once the dough has doubled in size (generally takes 1 to 2 hours), you need to punch it down and delate it. Then, cut the dough into smaller, equal sized portions.
- Let the equally sized portions rest for another 20 minutes.
- Flatten the dough, by stretching and flattening on a pizza stone.
- Press the dough with your fingers to prevent from excess bubbling.
Topping the pizza
- Mix the beans, tomatoes and corn in a bowl.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. The dough needs to be placed over the cornmeal.
- Let the crust bake on the grill, for 4 to 6 minutes. The crust has to puff and brown lightly.
- Flip the crust, spread barbeque and tomato sauce. Then, sprinkle the tomato mix, cheese and other toppings on the grilled pizza crust.
- Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 minutes at 500 degreesFahrenheit.
Nutritional information per serving:
- 8.7g total fat
- 2.6g saturated fat
- 434mg sodium
- 15mg cholesterol
- 47.6g carbohydrates
- 4.2g fiber
- 346 IU vitamin A
- 4mg vitamin C
- 109 mg calcium
Thanks for the tips. I will surely try this out soon..
you are welcome, happy cooking!