This is the best way to cook tasty lean chili with plantains for your family
Calories per serving: 306 kCal
Yields: 5 servings
Total time: 35 minutes (5 minutes’ preparation, 30 minutes cooking)
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
- Two-third cup of onion.
- 1 bell pepper.
- 1.5lb of lean beef
- 1 tablespoon of powdered chili
- 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- Half-a-teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of oregano, preferable the Mexican kind
- 2 cups of sodium beef stock
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 400 grams of diced tomatoes without salt
- 1 ripe plantain
- Turn on the heat, and place a medium sized pot over it. Ensure that the pot is heated to medium temperature.
- After the pot is hot, you need to add oil and the minced garlic.
- Now, dice the onion into small slices.
- Dice the bell pepper into small slices.
- Add the diced onions and pepper into the pot, with garlic and oil. Give the ingredients a quick stir, and let them cook for three minutes. Wait until the onion slices turn a little brown along the ends.
- Once the onions have brown edges, you need to add the beef. The beef needs to be smashed carefully. Ensure that the mix is as fine as possible. Continue cooking the beef with onions for 4 to 6 minutes
- Then, add seasoning to the mix. This includes chili powder, paprika, cumin, cinnamon and oregano.
- After seasoning, add the beef stock, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to the mix.
- Cover the entire mix for 10 minutes, and let it cook. The flame needs to be brought down to simmer. This way, you don’t need to worry about the mix getting burnt.
- After 10 minutes, add plantains. The entire mix needs to be stirred together. Ensure that all the ingredients are carefully seasoned and coated with the spices.
- Check on the consistency of the mix. If the mix is too thick, consider adding a tablespoon of beef stock. But, this is an optional step. Keep the flame low during this step. Never cook the mix on high flame.
- Continue to cover and cook the mixture for another 10 minutes.
- Check for salt and pepper. If required, add salt to suit your tastebuds.
- If required, add lime to the mix.
- Garnish the dish with cilantro and jalapeno.
Nutritional information per serving:
- 32g of protein
- 11g of fat
- 23g of carbohydrates
- 3g of fiber
- 7g of sugar