Easy Kale and chickpea grain bowl with avocado dressing
Calorie: 520 kCal
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cans unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 4 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Begin by boiling a cup of water.
- Add the uncooked bulgur to boiling water. Let the bulgur stand in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, you need to drain the water away.
- Rinse the chickpeas. Pat the chickpeas dry. Once the chickpeas are dry, you need to salt it. Use a paper towel to pay the chickpeas dry.
- Place a skillet in high heat. Pour canola oil into the skillet. Let the oil become hot. Don’t add any more ingredients, before the skillet is hot enough.
- Once the skillet is hot, add carrots. Ensure the carrots are washed and diced into smaller pieces.
- Let the carrots get a little crispy but soft. Let the carrots get cooked, as you stir continuously.
- Add the chickpeas to the mix. Continue stirring the chickpeas and carrots. The chickpeas should become mildly brown.
- Add kale to the carrots and chickpeas. Now, cover the mix and let it get cooked. Occasionally, open the lid and stir the ingredients. The kale has to become wilt. And, the carrots should become tender. It would take 2 minutes for the ingredients to be cooked and tender.
- Add bulgur to the carrots and chickpeas mix. Stir the ingredients.
- Add shallots to the chickpea mix.
- Add parsley to the mix, and gently stir.
- Now, season the ingredients with pepper and salt. The quantity of pepper and salt depends on your taste.
- Toss bulgur with the rest of the ingredients with salt and pepper.
- Process avocado oil, water and olive oil together. Add turmeric, sesame seeds and garlic to the oil mix. Drizzle this oils over the bulgur and chickpeas mix. Ensure that the oils coat all the ingredients in the bulgur mix.
- 20g of fat
- 18g of protein
- 68g of carbohydrates
- 16g of fiber
- 7g of sugar
- 495mg of sodium
- 16g of Unsaturated fat