Health experts recommended people of all ages to consume fruits of all types on a daily basis. This is because they are filled with essential fiber, nutrients to support healthy and nutritious diet. Being high in fiber and low in calories, they can help with your weight-loss goals. Consuming fruits regularly is associated with lowering risks associated with heart disease, cancer, blood pressure and diabetes. It also lowers body weight significantly.
Top 10 fruits for effective weight loss
- Apples: This fruit is high in fiber and low in calories. An apple of 223 grams has fiber of 5.4 grams and 116 calories only. It supports weight loss. Daily serving spread over a couple of years will allow you to lose about 1.24 pounds at an average without doing exercises. It is quite filling and requires you to consume less of other available foods throughout the day. Instead of consuming in juiced form, it is bests east whole. This helps control appetite and reduces hunger. Moreover, apple polyphenol extracted created from a natural compound in the fruit is associated with reduced cholesterol levels. You may eat it raw or cooked or add it to cold and hot cereals, salads, stews, yogurt, etc.
- Grapefruit: This fruit is termed to be a cross between an orange and a pomelo. It supports weight loss and dieting. Half grapefruit offers 65% of RDI (Reference Daily Intake) of Vitamin C while containing only 39 calories. Red varieties offer Vitamin A of 28% RDI. It also has low GI (glycemic index), thereby releasing sugar slowly into the bloodstream. This supports weight maintenance and loss. Consuming it as fruit or juice form before meals can help reduce calorie intake and reduce body weight. It also improves cholesterol levels.
- Stone Fruits: It is also referred to as drupes, a seasonal fruit having a pit, stone in its interior or fleshy exterior. Such fruits include apricots, cherries, plums, nectarines and peaches. These fruits are rich in nutrients such as Vitamin A, C and low in calorie and GI. It is indeed a more filing and nutrient dense option to lose weight. You can consume it chopped form in fruit salads, grilled or included with savory dishes such as stews or mixed with porridge.
- Berries: They have low calorie nutrients. 74 gms of blueberries comprise of 42 calories while offering RDI for manganese and Vitamin C and 18% of Vitamin K. Berries are filling and help lower inflammation, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. You may add both frozen and fresh berries to yogurt or cereal for breakfast. It can also be mixed in baked items, blended with healthy smoothie or simply tossed in a salad.
- Rhubarb: Although a vegetable, it is consumed like a fruit in North America and Europe. Per stalk contains only 11 calories, 1 gm fiber and 20% RDI for K Vitamin. Its fiber lowers high cholesterol that is commonly experienced by those struggling to control their weight. You can stew Rhubarb stalks and have it with your favorite cereal or porridge. It is also used in desserts. Low sugar rhubarb dishes are the best option to lose weight.
- Passion fruit: This fruit is found in South America. Its external rind is tough, yellow or purple in color, having pulpy, edible seed mass within. A single fruit of 18 grams has 17 calories while being rich in potassium, iron, Vitamin A, C and fiber. Although a small fruit, it is packed with dietary fiber. 5 such fruits provide less than 100 calories and 42% RDI. Its seeds offer piceatannol that helps overweight men to enjoy enhanced insulin sensitivity and reduced blood pressure. To derive the weight-loss benefits, it should be consumed whole either alone, added to drinks, filling or topping for desserts.
- Melons: They are filled with water and low in calories, thus being a wonderful weight-loss friendly option. 1 cup melon like watermelon or honeydew of 150 to 16 gms offers just 46-61 calories. They are also rich in potassium, fiber and antioxidants like lycopene, beta-carotene and Vitamin C. Although it has high GI, it will be essential to portion control. You can have them fresh, balled or cubed in a fruit salad. You may even freeze it to make fruit popsicles or blend it with fruit smoothies.
- Kiwifruit: These are brown, small fruits having yellow or green fresh, tiny black seeds. Being nutrient dense, they are filled with Vitamin E, C, fiber and folate. Thus, they offer numerous health benefits. People with prediabetes on being provided two kiwis every day for a few weeks showed higher Vitamin-C levels. They also enjoyed half inch waist circumference reduction and lowered blood pressure. It also supports gut health, improves cholesterol and controls blood sugar. Not containing sugar, they offer low GI, while being high in dietary fiber. Being rich in fiber, support gut health. It is sweet, delicious and soft and can be consumed raw, unpeeled or peeled. You may also use it in salads, juice, include in baked items or morning cereal.
- Bananas: This fruit is rich in calorie, sugar content while being more calorie-dense and nutrient dense. It provides your body with magnesium, potassium, fiber, manganese, antioxidants, Vitamin C, A and B6. They have low-medium GI, thereby controlling insulin levels while regulating weight, especially those with diabetes. Studies revealed that eating a single piece of banana every day helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar. You can consume them whenever desired either cooked or raw form.
- Oranges: These fruits are high in fiber and vitamin C while being low in calories as well as filling. Studies revealed that consuming whole fruits rather than drinking orange juice results in more calorie intake and less hunger. It also improves feelings of fullness. It can be eating as it is or added to the favorite dessert or salad. Even its peels can be used to cook several interesting items.
Fruits do form a vital part of any healthy diet and also helps with weight-loss efforts. They mostly have low calories and high fiber and nutrients to boost fullness. They are best eaten whole instead of juiced to retain its useful properties. Besides eating fruit to lose weight, you should have whole, healthy foods along with physical activity.